Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-19 11:44 am

Post subject: Mana Drain
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 3:52 am 

Its so broken Im surprised its not on the banned list. Since it is legal, it should be a staple in all EDH decks using blue. The high price tag may be daunting to some, but as it is not over $200 I bought one for my own EDH. It has worked wonders. Has anyone else played with or against Mana Drain?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mana Drain
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 4:36 am 

It's a really good card but seedborn muse and mana reflection provide far more mana (and so did tolarian academy), and spelljack is quite a bit more powerful when you have the mana up. This isn't a turn two counterspell format.

It's a really good card.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 5:41 am 

There are a couple guys in my area that use it. As onlainari says, it's good, but not format-warping or anything.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 6:38 am 

played with and against it.

Because it's a 1 of spell it's just not all that powerful. You can't ensure you get good mana usage, and it's not like you will always have a combo in your hand that wins because of it.

In multiplayer desertion , spell jack , mystic snake , all are better counters.

I'd put is on par with disipate , cryptic , forbid in power. A great spell but it isn't required for decks to work.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 2:18 pm 

I'm waiting for the following sequence:

"Mana Drain your Ulamog. Precombat main phase, cast my Emrakul?"

It's conditionally great, and randomly awful. I've found my best use of it in Jhoira. Countering a 4-7 mana spell, then untapping, recasting my general and suspending some stuff while I still have priority is good.

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 2:32 pm 

I've played with it and against it.

All in all, it is just a counterspell in a format where counterspells are only at their best when stopping someone from winning the game (or from gaining an incremental advantage that leads to a win).

Honestly, I'd argue Desertion, Cryptic Command, Hinder, and Spell Jack are all better than Mana Drain in EDH. They all are more versatile except Hinder which is really at it's best when tucking a general. All of them lead to equal total card loss/gain. Cryptic, SJ, and Desertion are all clearly two for ones, and hinder takes a general away for at least a few turns at minimum.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 7:32 pm 

Given two counterspell spots, I would go spelljack and mana drain, but I dislike hinder, and cryptic command - ewit locks aren't anything you can't do with other cards.

Given my budget, I actually have a deck with very few spots for counterspells and I picked Spelljack, Overwhelming Intellect, Voidslime, Trickbind, Time Stop, and Mystic Snake. If I had a mana drain it wouldn't replace any of these.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 11:13 pm 

onlainari wrote:
very few spots for counterspells and I picked Spelljack, Overwhelming Intellect, Voidslime, Trickbind, Time Stop, and Mystic Snake. If I had a mana drain it wouldn't replace any of these.

I agree. If I had more room, there are still at least 4 others I would add before Mana Drain (Arcane Denial, Voidmage Husher, Draining Whelk, Stifle, and possibly Mindbreak Trap, depending on whether the deck needs help beating Emrakul and/or Obliterate). Mana Drain is great, and is actually the second-best counter available in 1vs1 EDH (after Force of Will), but itjust doesn't do enough in multiplayer to be even close to an auto-include in blue decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-02 7:13 am 

Thee are a few deck I have which use Drain. I find it's usually best turn 4 through 6; I counter someones 4 or 5 cc spell and ramp into something much larger.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-02 10:17 am 

OOOOO I forgot 'bout Voidslime. Great card very useful and never a bad draw. Trickbind is great at stopping combos for a turn and Timestop is perhaps as good as Cryptic Command in this format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 9:54 am 

the additional mana given by the Mana Drain is great but i have found that Cryptic Command, Forbid with potential buyback, Timestop, and Hinder are counterspells that really shine in Edh multiplayer. 1 versus 1 EDH the Mana Drain position changes to perhaps #2 behind Hinder.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 4:05 pm 

i think you guys seriously underestimate the relevance of mana costs in edh. sure it's the "bomb" format but that doesn't mean you want to fill your deck with 30+ spells that cost five or more.
i'm usually satisfied with 5-15, the rest of the deck being cheap answers and 2for1s and the such.

force of will - mana drain - counterspell - dissipate - trickbind. and i must say i really like negate too.

of course, this is just my subjective point of view. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 4:34 pm 

It shouldn't be banned, but it is awesome - it accelerates you into good stuff while leaving you with enough mana to protect your stuff.Memnarch, Ulamog, Kozilek and others are all powerful cards that deserve to be played (Sundering Titan is powerful but isn't deserving) and they are much tastier when you can drain someone's general for 6+ to subsidize them.
I run it in Thraximundar, and it does make it easier to cast fun stuff like Decree of Pain, Overwhelming Forces or Nicol Bollas.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 7:40 pm 

No one has mentioned pact of Negation? Your opponents simply knowing you have the card in your deck makes them second guess every spell they play. Allows you to tap out and still have a counter when you really need to.

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)
Karona the False God (Lets Play a Quick Game)
Jenara, Asura of War (Lands Matter)
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 9:21 pm 

Agreed that pact of negation should make some EDH decks. However those players will know if they want it or not, it's not generally "recommended".

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile